Political Advertising Forthcoming Victorian State Election 2018

Hume City Council advises all candidates who have nominated in the forthcoming Victorian State Election that political advertising is not permitted on Hume City Council property including Council’s road reserve. 

Hume City Council is the Responsible Authority for local roads under the Road Management Act 2004. As such, Council land also includes road reserves.

However, whilst political advertising is not permitted on Council land or road reserves, the Hume Planning Scheme (HPS) outlines that a planning permit is not required on private property provided such political advertising meets the criteria as outlined in 52.05-4 as follows:

Hume Planning Scheme 52.05- 4 Signs not requiring a permit:

A permit is not required to display the following signs:

  • A sign with an advertisement area not exceeding five square metres publicising a local educational, cultural, political, religious, social or recreational event not held for commercial purposes. Only one sign may be displayed on the land, it must not be an animated or internally-illuminated sign and it must not be displayed longer than 14 days after the event is held or three months, whichever is sooner. A sign publicising a local political event may include information about a candidate for an election.

Signage outside these parameters may require a Planning Permit which will be required before the signage is utilised. The above applies to private land only (approval of private land holders would be required). 

Failure to comply with the above will result in a Planning Infringement Notice being issued to both the owner of the land and the candidate to the current amount of between $806.00 and $1612.00.

For further information please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Enforcement Unit on 9205 2200

Building Permit Requirements

Many signs do require a Building Permit. The Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2006 require that a Building Permit is required for any sign that exceeds 1.0m in height if located within 3.0m of any street alignment boundary of the allotment on which it is proposed to be erected. 

If a sign is to be located or set back on an allotment a distance further than 3.0m from any street alignment boundary, a Building Permit will be required if the sign exceeds 8.0m in height or if the sign has a display area exceeding 6m2

Building Permits must be issued prior to the erection of a sign.  The penalties for non-compliance are up to 500 penalty units ($80,595.00) in the case of an individual and 2500 penalty units ($402,975.00) in the case of a company.  

For further information about the construction of signs, please contact Council’s Building Control Services department on 9205 2200. 

Signage within Council’s road reserve

Any signage found to be situated on Council property will be removed and any political advertising signage on Council’s road reserves will be removed in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66). 

Please note that under the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66) (1) (b) is 3 penalty units ($483.57).   

The Road Register lists all road within the Hume Municipality and is available online on hume.vic.gov.au.

For further information please contact Council’s Technical Services Department on 9205 2200.

Signage within VicRoads road reserve

VicRoads is required to meet obligations with respect to road safety within the arterial road network. VicRoads should be contacted prior to any installation of any signage on the road reserve where VicRoads is the co-ordinating Authority.

VicRoads have power under the Road Management Act 2004 to remove anything placed unlawfully without prior consent on the arterial road network.

The Register of Public Roads within Hume with VicRoads as the co-ordinating road authority are listed at vicroads.vic.gov.au

For further information regarding the VicRoads road reserves please contact the VicRoads Signing and Planning Officer Mr. Alan King on 9313 1144.

Note:  As at 01 July 2018 a Penalty Unit is $161.19. e.g. 500 Penalty Units = $80,595.00,  Penalty Units are set by the Department of Justice and can be found at justice.vic.gov.au 

Posted on 12:00 AM, 20 November 2018

Updated : 12:13 PM, 20 November 2018

What's Near Me?