Concessions or Exemptions

Website banner - Concessions on your rates.png

Depending on the concession card you hold, you may be eligible for a concession from Council or from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

In addition to holding one of the concession cards below, you must also:

  • ensure your concession card is current and valid
  • be the person responsible for payment of the rates
  • have your name on the rates notice
  • make sure your name and address is the same on your rates notice and on your concession card

Concessions from Council

You are eligible to apply for a concession via Council if you hold one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
  • DVA Gold Card – Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • DVA Gold Card – War Widow (WW)

If your concession is approved, you do not need to reapply yearly. We will check with DHHS each year to find out if you are still eligible for your concession. If you are no longer eligible, we will contact you to advise you that the concession has been removed.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Municipal Rates Concession application form to upload in Step 2
  2. Apply for the Pension Rebate Retrospective Claim online

Examples of when you are not eligible

You may not be eligible for a concession if you are:

  • you are a health card holder
  • you are applying for a property that is not your principal place of residence

Concessions from DHHS

You may be eligible to apply for a concession via DHHS if you hold one of the following cards:

  • Veteran Affairs Prisoner of War (POW)
  • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)

You will need to reapply for this concession yearly with DHHS. Please contact DHHS for more information and to apply. 

Single Farm Enterprise exemption

Where multiple parcels of farm land are used to operate a single farming enterprise, a person may only be required to pay the fixed charge/ municipal charge once by applying for the single farming enterprise exemption.

To apply, a person must submit an application to the Council/s where the relevant properties are located. You must notify Council/s if the circumstances relating to your application change, as this may affect your eligibility for the exemption.

To download and apply for a Single Farm Enterprise exemption click here.

*This information is correct at the time of publication. Hume City Council reserves right to update and amend information as required.

Updated : 9:25 AM, 27 April 2020

Related Links

What's Near Me?