Register Your Pet

State law in Victoria requires all dogs and cats over three months of age to be microchipped AND registered with their local Council. It is also required that your pet wear their Council-issued registration tag.

Just because your pet is microchipped does not mean that it is registered with Council - you have to do it separately. Your pets registration tag is it's ticket home if it was ever to escape, so please make sure your pet is wearing their lifetime registration tag at all times.

Did you know? In 2018 Council changed to lifetime registration tags. This means you will no longer receive a new registration tag each year with your renewal notice. You will still need to pay a fee to renew your pets registration annually. To renew, simply make payment by 10 April each year. If your pet has lost the registration tag you received in 2018 or the tag is damaged, it can be replaced for a small fee. Please visit one of our three Customer Service Centres for a new tag.

Click the following link to find out more about the benefits of registering your pets with Council.

How do I register my pet?

To register your pet with Council, your pet must be microchipped and the microchip number must be included on your registration form. Proof of microchipping (e.g. microchip certificate) must also be provided with your registration form.

You can now register your pet online, please click the button below:


If you do not hear from us within 10 working days of submitting your animals registration form, please call us on 9205 2200 and select option 1.

How do I submit and pay my new animal registration?

If you are unable to complete the online form, you may submit and pay your hard copy new animal registration form with Council either:

  • In person at a Council Office.
  • By mail with cheque or money order payable to Hume City Council. 

Please ensure all required supporting documentation is supplied with your new animal registration form. 

Hard Copy Printable Form:

New Animal Registration Form 2020 - 2021

How much does animal registration cost?

 You may be eligible for a reduced registration fee if your pet is:

  • desexed
  • obedience trained
  • over 10 years of age
  • member of an approved association*
  • is a working dog
  • kept for breeding purposes at a registered domestic animal business

Further discounted fees apply to pension concession card holders, and DVA Gold Card holders specifying either War Widow or TPI.

Health care card holders, pension concession card holders and DVA Gold Card holders can obtain a voucher for discounted desexing for your dog or cat. To find out how to obtain a desexing voucher, please click the link: Desexing Your Pet

Council charges no fee for guide dogs or State or Commonwealth dogs.

Please see the registration fees below to find the correct fee. 

Registration Fees

Dogs Standard Fee Concession Fee Description 
Full $96.95 $50.45 Dog with none of the below categories or Declared Menacing Dogs (no concession applicable).
Reduced $35.00 $19.45 Any one or combination of the following: desexed; over 10 years old; kept for the purposes of breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business; working dog; member of an approved association*; or has undertaken obedience training* which complies with the regulations. Proof must be provided for all criteria.
Exempt Free Free Guide Dogs/Puppies and State or Commonwealth Dogs.
Guard Dog, Restricted Breed Dog, Dangerous Dog $320.00 N/A Restricted breed dog; declared dangerous dog; dogs kept on non-residential properties (these are automatically deemed a dangerous dog); and dogs trained to attack.


Cats Standard Fee Concession Fee Description 
Full $61.45 $32.75 Cat with none of the below categories.
Reduced $23.15 $13.60 Any one or combination of the following: desexed, over 10 years old; kept for the purposes of breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business; or member of an approved association*. Proof must be provided for all criteria.

 *Approved Associations and Obedience Training Associations can be found here.

Is the registration fee a one off payment?

Animal registration fees need to be renewed by 10 April each year. Council will send registered pet owners an animal registration renewal notice in March. 

What if my pet passes away, goes missing or moves out of Hume?

You can easily update your pet registration details online.



Updated : 11:07 AM, 29 September 2020

Related Links

What's Near Me?