Problems with Animals & Other Animals

Alert to Vaccinate Pet Rabbits

A new strain of rabbit calicivirus is currently being released in Victoria, to assist in the management of pest rabbits. The new strain of calicivirus, referred to as RHDV1 K5 or simply 'k5', is a variant of the existing calicivirus already established and widespread across Australia.

A vaccine (Cylap®) is available, to help protect pet rabbits from the various strains of calicivirus.

Pet rabbit owners should make sure animals’ vaccinations are up-to-date to protect against the virus.

Note: The Australian Veterinary Association recommends that for best protection against the current virus about to be released (RHDV1-K5), previously released variants (RHDV1, RHDV1A) and the variant that emerged in parts of Australia in 2015 called  RHDV2, the following protocols should be followed in consultation with your local veterinarian.

  • Kittens: 4, 8, 12 weeks of age, then every 6 months.
  • Adults: 2 vaccinations 1 month part, then every 6 months.

For more information, please visit Agriculture Victoria:

Against calici 2.png


If you see injured wildlife that may require rescuing please contact Wildlife Victoria immediately on 1300 094 535 or report it online using the following link: Report A Wildlife Emergency

If you are having problems with wildlife in Hume, please follow this link Wildlife in Hume to find out more information with printable factsheets. This information can provide insight on how to deal with Kangaroos, Magpies, Snakes, and more.

Deceased Animals

If you have seen a deceased animal on Council land, please contact Council to make a report for it to be removed. Council will not remove deceased animals from private property.

Keeping Other Animals as Pets

Council's General Local Law No.1 - 2013, has limitations on how many animals you can keep without a permit.

Sub-clause 5.1.1 of Council's General Local Law states, without a permit an owner or occupier of land of less than 4,000 square metres in area and situated in a residential area must not keep more than:

  • 5 guinea pigs;
  • 5 rabbits;
  • 5 ferrets;
  • 5 head of poultry (no roosters permitted);
  • 6 pigeons, unless they are a members of a pigeon racing club or similar club approved by Council, in which case the maximum number permitted to be kept is 60; or 
  • 20 other caged birds

If you live in a flat or unit, you will need a permit for more than:

  • 5 caged birds

To find out more information about Council’s conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit Multiple Animal Annual Permit Application.

Please note, when keeping other animals as pets there may be a minimum standard (Code of Practice) which must be complied with. For more information, please visit:

(Please ensure you read Council’s conditions prior to applying for a permit)

No permit will be issued for the keeping of goats, sheep, pigs, horses or farm animals on any land less than 4,000 square metres or any animal (with the exception of caged birds) not listed in sub-clause 5.1.1 and not otherwise permitted under this Local Law.

Barking Dogs & Cat Traps

For more information in relation to barking dogs and stray or feral cats, please follow the link to find out more.


An owner or occupier of land must remove any wasp nests on becoming aware of their existence on the land, it is an offence to fail to remove the nest and any breach of Council's Local Law may result in a penalty infringement notice being issued.

Updated : 4:44 PM, 1 April 2019

What's Near Me?