Lost & Found Pets

What if I've found a stray pet?

Residents who have found a dog are advised to contact Council on 9205 2200 (even after hours and during the holiday season). The emergency after hours team can respond to collect found dogs, and may be able to contact the owner if the animal is wearing its registration tag.

If you find a cat, you can contact Council on 9205 2200 during business hours to arrange collection. Stray cats must be adequately confined in a cage or trap in order for Council Officers to collect. If you are unable to contain the cat, you can apply for a cat trap. Cats are not collected after hours. If you have contained a cat after hours, you can take the cat to your local vet or contact Council during business hours for collection.

To report a dead dog or cat, please contact Council on 9205 2200 (after hours – 9205 2200).

What if I have lost my pet?

If your pet is lost call the Lost Dogs' Home on phone 9329 2755 or visit their website to see stray dogs and stray cats.

You can also:

  • Search all parts of your property and the local area;
  • Post on the various local lost animal Facebook sites;
  • Advertise in your neighbourhood with flyers and signs;
  • Call neighbouring councils; and
  • Call your local vets

If your pet is wearing a registration tag, it can be easily returned to you. If we are unable to contact the owner, the dog or cat will be taken to the Lost Dogs' Home at 2 Gracie Street, North Melbourne. If the dog is not registered with Council, owners must pay to register the dog prior to reclaiming it from the Animal Shelter. 

The Lost Dogs' Home Contact Information:

2 Gracie Street
North Melbourne, Vic 3051
Phone: (03) 9329 2755
Email: info@dogshome.com
Hours: Mon-Thu 10:00am- 6:15pm
Fri 10:00am- 4:45pm Sat-Sun 9:00am-12:30pm

The Lost Dogs' Home and Cat Shelter is one of Australia's largest animal welfare organisations. Its mission is to look after and reduce the number of sick, stray, abandoned and unwanted animals.

If you are going to reclaim your dog or cat from the Lost Dogs' Home, you will need to take proof of registration with you, otherwise you will be required to register your dog or cat as well as pay the release fee at the time of release.

Listing of Local Councils near Hume:

Moreland City Council                9240 1111
City of Whittlesea                       9217 2170
Macedon Shire Council              5422 0333
Melton City Council                    9747 7200
Brimbank City Council                9249 4000

To prevent your pet becoming lost, make sure:

  • your pets are microchipped and registered; 
  • they have a secure backyard to play in;
  • you close and lock your gates;
  • you keep your cat confined at night;
  • your microchip details are up to date with the relevant microchip registry;
  • you spend lots of time playing and exercising your pet;
  • your pet is away from loud noises; and
  • choose a pet which suits your family.  

Updated : 12:17 PM, 14 June 2019

Related Links

What's Near Me?