Food Businesses

New Food Businesses (Excluding Temporary and Mobile Food Businesses)

So you want to run a food business?

If you are thinking about buying an existing food business or starting your own, there are some important things you should know about. To protect Victorians, all food businesses must comply with our food laws, including the Food Act.

Running a food business information booklet -  Starting a Food Business.pdf  

Visit Department of Health - Food Business Information for further details.

Applying for registration

Before you apply for Registration you should contact the Licenses and Registrations Business Victoria for information and application forms (where applicable) for all relevant approvals from all authorities. These could include local government, other government departments and agencies and water authorities.

  • Contact Small Business Victoria for business advice and information.
  • Contact other relevant authorities (Building/Planning. Call 9205 2200) for approval
  • Complete and submit an application for registration form to the Public Health Unit either in person or e-mail

Application Form - Food Act Premise.pdf 

  • A Food Safety Program may need to be submitted with the application for registration, depending on the class of your food premises. You should not commence construction work on your premises til you have received advice that your application for registration has been approved. Council's Environmental Health Officer may require the removal or changes to any construction work that has not been approved as part of your application for registration.

Registering new food premises

Once you have received confirmation from a Environmental Health Officer approval to open your food premise you must complete a Food Act Registration form and pay registration fee. You must not commence operation until you 'are in possession' of a Certificate of Registration under the Food Act 1984.

NB: Application form for Registration will be provided to the owner once final approval has been granted.


Buying an existing food business (transfer)

When purchasing a food business, Council's Public Health Unit needs to be informed of the change. A transfer inspection of the premises can be requested prior to settlement. Transfer inspections are not mandatory but recommended as this will give prospective new proprietors valuable information of the standard of the premises and requirements, in order to become compliant with the relevant acts and regulations. The inspection and report will incur a fee. Due to privacy laws a release form from the current proprietor is also required prior to inspection reports being issued. Prior to Transfer of Registration being approved a copy of the Food Safety Program and relevant training is also required to be submitted within 14 days from the date of transfer.


     Request for a Health Department Inspection Form.pdf


Alterations to a food business

If you are planning on altering the layout of your food business or changing the type of food to be sold within your business then you may be required to submit additional plans for approval. Contact our Environmental Health Officer on 9205 2200 for further information. 

Food Safety Program

Amendments to the Victorian Food Act 1984 now require food premises registered in Victoria to implement Food Safety Programs. A food safety program requires that a food business systematically examines its operations step by step from purchase of raw materials to the sale or service of food to the customer. The program identifies all processes with potential to cause harm to customers and ensure that sufficient controls are in place to minimize risks.

Food businesses may choose to develop their own independent Food Safety Program which will have to be audited by a certified Food Safety Auditor. Alternatively, food businesses can elect to use a standard Food Safety Program Template that has been registered with the Department of Human Services.

Programs are available in other languages.

Copies of the templates can be found through the Department of Health (DH) website.

Food Safety Supervisor

Every food business must provide to their local Council written details of the name and the qualifications of their food safety supervisor. If the nominated food safety supervisor leaves the business the local council must be informed of the replacement food safety supervisor.

A food safety supervisor is a person who:

  • has a statement of attainment that shows the required competencies from a Registered Training Organisation, (List of competencies)
  • has the ability to supervise food handling in the food premises
  • has the authority to supervise food handlers and ensure that food handling is done safely, and
  • will ensure that the food handlers know how to handle food safely.

 A food safety supervisor can be the proprietor, an employee or a person external to the business, providing they are able meet the requirements of a food safety supervisor prescribed in the Food Act 1984.

For information about Food Safety Supervisors please find attached  information and guidelines

FSS Qualifications and guidelines 2018.pdf

 Notification of a Class 4 Food Premise

Class 4 food premises are those whose food handling activities pose low risk to public health. They include premises that only undertake the following:

• the sale of shelf stable pre-packaged confectionery at newsagents, pharmacies and video stores
• bottle shops
• sale of uncut fruit and vegetables at farmers markets
• wine tastings
• shops and stalls with packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes), bottled jams or honey
• sessional kindergartens serving low risk food including cut fruit, and
• simple sausage sizzles at stalls, where the sausages are cooked and served immediately. This means sausages, sauce, onions and bread. (This does not include hamburgers or other high risk foods).


Class 4 notification form: Class 4 Notification Form.pdf

Food Recall
For information about what a food recall involves and for the latest recalls in Australia, please visit to the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

Temporary & Mobile Food Premises – Streatrader


Information for community groups and businesses

In Victoria, all food premises are required to have a Food Act registration from their council before selling food. This includes fixed premises, such as cafes and restaurants – but also temporary and mobile food premises such as a food van or a market stall.

What is a temporary food premises?
A temporary food premises is defined by the Food Act 1984 as a structure that is not permanently fixed to a site. This includes things such as a tent, a stall or a marquee. Common examples include market stalls or sausage sizzle stalls.  

What is a mobile food premises?
The Food Act defines mobile food premises as a food premises that is a vehicle. This can include food vans, caravans or trucks, coffee vans, trailers and even bicycles.
How do we register our temporary or mobile food premises?

Business operators or community groups wishing to obtain a registration for their temporary or mobile food premises from their local council apply through a website called Streatrader.

Streatrader  is a website developed by the Department of Health and Human Services as a resource to facilitate the online registration process for businesses and community groups across Victoria.

To begin your business or community group’s application for registration, all you need to do is visit the website, create an account and log on. Once you have logged on you will have access to the online application form which will then be lodged to your local council for review. Please see the Streatrader website for a step by step guide through the application process.
Once your council have approved your registration, you can trade anywhere in Victoria without having to register with another council.

However, each time before you trade you need to log in to your Streatrader account and complete a short form called a Statement of Trade (SOT), which will ask when and where you will be trading from your temporary or mobile food premises. Your SOT will then go to the relevant council to notify them of your activities in the area.

For example, your community group may have a sausage sizzle stall registered with your council. For each sausage sizzle your group does you will need to log on and provide the date and location of where you will be setting up your premises.

Please see the Streatrader website for more detailed information, user guides, free resources and brochures that may assist you in the registration process.

If you have any further queries please contact the Council’s environmental health unit on 9205 2200.

  1. Apply online – via Streatrader link
  2. Submission of relevant supporting documents as required
  3. Approval and registration with relevant payment
  4. Registration Certificate issued
  5. Operate Business and implement Food Safety Program
  6. Submit relevant Statements of Trade as required

Food News

The Public Health Unit also produces a quarterly newsletter called Hume Food News, which is delivered to all food businesses.

Current edition:  Hume Food News - Autumn 2020

  Cover Hume Food News - Autumn 2020.jpg


Past editions:

Hume Food News Summer 2019-20.pdf

Hume Food News-Spring 2019.pdf

Hume Food News - Winter 2019.pdf

Hume Food News - Autumn 2019.pdf

Updated : 11:13 AM, 20 March 2020

What's Near Me?