Roadside Trading & Ice Cream Van Permits

A permit is required to sell goods from the side of the road or municipal place. Traders operating a mobile food van, ice cream van, or selling other goods from the side of the road will need to obtain a permit.

Prior to the commencement of trading a Statement of Trade from StreatTrader must be obtained provided with your application.

Who can apply?

Anyone looking to roadside trade can apply for the permit, whether it is a Mobile Coffee/Food, Ice Cream van or Selling Goods while on a road or in a municipal place.

When can I apply?

Applicants may apply once they have obtained all the relevant information and documentation required with this application in order for it to be processed.

Where can I trade?

Permits can only be granted for Council-controlled roads or road related areas. No permits will be granted for any reserves, parks, lookouts or car parks. If you would like to trade on private property, you do not need a roadside trader permit but you may require a planning permit.

Many major roads are controlled by VicRoads, and Council is unable to issue permits for those areas. Please check on this map to see if your preferred location is on a VicRoads road. If so, please direct your enquiry to VicRoads.

What does Council take into consideration when assessing an application?

  • The requirements of Council’s Health Department for sale of food items. (If registered with another Council under the Food Act 1984, then that Registration Certificate will need to be produced. Otherwise it will be necessary to register with the Hume City Council Health Department. The van must meet the requirements of the Food Act 1984 and any Regulations in force pursuant to the Act)
  • Each van must be available for inspection by Council’s Health Department. (If applicable)
  • The days and times that itinerate trade is to be conducted.
  • The area in which the trade is proposed to be carried out, priority will be given to existing businesses of a similar nature.
  • The views/requirements of VicRoads.
  • The views/requirements of relevant Council Departments.
  • Access to toilet facilities

How much does it cost?

Council charges an application fee and annual fee of $938.90. Fee is subject to change each financial year.

How do I apply?

You must complete the application and provide all relevant documentation in order for your application to be processed.

You can now apply online for a permit, to complete the online roadside trading/ice cream van permit application you will be required to:

  1. Provide a valid email address.
  2. Attach a current copy of your public liability noting Hume City Council as an interested party, StreatTrader Certificate and attach a map that clearly indicates the location of where you wish to trade (maximum of Two locations in which you wish to trade).
  3. Once the information supplied has been verified, Council will issue an invoice by post to the postal address supplied.
  4. Application fee is non-refundable.



Printable hard copy application form:

Roadside Trader/Ice Cream Van Permit Application.

Please ensure you read Council’s conditions prior to applying for a permit

Updated : 10:15 AM, 28 June 2019

Related Links

What's Near Me?