Outdoor Eating & Display Permits

A permit is required to place goods such as a display of goods (clothing racks, produce stands, etc) or footpath trading furniture (tables, chairs, barriers and heaters) on a footpath, nature strip or on other municipal places.

To ensure footpath management standards are met, an unobstructed footpath area must be maintained at least 1.8 metres from the shop front.  This area is known as a "Pedestrian Zone" and items are not to be placed in this area.  Footpath trading furniture, signage and displays of goods must be contained within the "Trading Zone" (see diagram below).

Council City Laws Officers will need to conduct a site inspection prior to issuing the permit to ensure that the footpath management standards are being met.

Please note that certain traders located in O'Shanassy Street East, Sunbury are subject to different conditions.

For more information or to see if the different conditions apply to you, please read the Outdoor Dining Area Guide (O'Shanassy St).

If you wish to serve alcohol outside in the outdoor dining area, you must supply Council with a current Liquor Licence that extends onto the footpath. For more information on Liquor Licencing or to amend your Liquor Licence you will need to contact the Victorian Commission for Gambling & Liquor (VCGLR), please visit https://www.vcglr.vic.gov.au/

Who can apply?

Shop owners/businesses looking to display any goods or have outdoor eating furniture outside the front of their shop on the footpath or on municipal owned land.

When can I apply?

Applicants may apply once they have obtained all the relevant information and documentation required with this application in order for it to be processed.

How much does it cost?

Council charges an application fee and annual fee of $121.00 for display of goods & $205.85 for outdoor eating furniture. Fee is subject to change each financial year.

How do I apply?

You can now apply online for a permit, to complete the online trading activity permit application you will be required to:

  1. Provide a valid email address.
  2. Attach a current copy of your public liability and attach a copy of photo/s/sketch/plans of the items being placed on the footpath.
  3. Once the information supplied has been verified, Council will issue an invoice by post to the postal address supplied.

 To submit an online application, please click the button below.

 Trading Activity Button.JPG

 Printable hard copy application forms:

Trading Activities Permit Application

Trading Activities Permit Application - O'Shanassy Street East.

Please ensure you read Council’s conditions prior to applying for a permit.

Updated : 12:02 PM, 28 June 2019

Related Links

What's Near Me?