Plans of Subdivision

Subdivision is the division of land into two or more lots which can be sold separately. Subdivision can also include re-aligning or altering title boundaries even if the number of lots does not change.

Whether or not you can subdivide varies on a number of factors, including zones, overlays and any restrictions on the land.
If you want to subdivide your land, there are three stages you must be aware of:

  • obtaining a planning permit to subdivide
  • certifying a plan of subdivision  and
  • releasing a statement of compliance

There is no minimum lot size for residential subdivision. However, in most cases you will need to apply for a permit to develop your land before making an application to subdivide. Once the development permit is obtained, the subdivision should be a straightforward process which creates boundaries in line with the approved development.

Subdivision is complicated and has certain legal requirements; therefore the applicant must be a licensed land surveyor. To find a licensed land surveyor you can go to the Yellow Pages, the Association of Consulting Surveyors  website, or the Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria  website. In most cases, your surveyor will be our primary contact, so we recommend that you speak to them first if you have any questions.

For more information view Council’s subdivision factsheet or contact the Statutory Planning department on (03) 9205 2802.

Telecommunications infrastructure in new developments

Developers are responsible for providing telecommunications infrastructure in their developments. Developers must ensure that all lots created by subdivision are either connected or ready for connection to telecommunication services and must ensure that fibre ready telecommunications services have been provided to all lots created.

To provide this infrastructure, you need to contract a carrier to install telecommunications infrastructure in your new development.

Developers may choose any carrier to service their development. If you don’t choose another carrier:

  • nbn is the Infrastructure Provider of Last Resort for larger developments (100 lots or more) and for all developments in areas where nbn is rolling out.
  • Telstra is the Infrastructure Provider of Last Resort for smaller developments (less than 100 lots), until the nbn rolls out in the area.

To determine who is the Infrastructure Provider of Last Resort (IPOLR) for your property you can view the nbn™ roll out map on the nbn website.

Developers are asked to apply at least 6 months before the required date of service, to ensure a connection is ready when residents move in.

Website links

Australian Government’s Telecommunications in New Developments policy

Advisory Note 49 – Telecommunications services and facilities in subdivisions


Updated : 11:23 AM, 17 May 2018

Related Links

What's Near Me?