Planning Guidelines and Zoning

What is the Hume planning scheme?

The planning scheme is a statutory document which sets out rules and regulations determined by the Victorian Government directing how land can be used and developed and protected within Hume.

The planning scheme contains State and local government planning policies, zones, overlays and other rules affecting how land can and cannot be used and developed in the municipality. Any applicant for a planning permit must comply with this scheme.

You can view the Hume Planning Scheme and conduct a free property search on the Department of Planning, Transport and Local Infrastructure’s Planning Scheme page .

Applications to amend the Hume Planning Scheme can be directed to Council’s Strategic Planning department.

What are zones and overlays?

Every property is located within a specific zone which reflects the main use of that land in that area. This helps Council decide whether to support or reject a planning application. Land can also be subject to certain overlays or requirements which may further influence the use of that land.

Overlays relate to additional rules about how a particular parcel of land can be used, developed or changed. They are put in place to protect certain important aspects of the land. If a parcel of land has an overlay it will often require a planning permit and have extra requirements that must be met.

For further information on zones and overlays you can view the Hume Planning Scheme and generate a free report on your property online, or contact the Statutory Planning team on (03) 9205 2802

What is the zoning of my property?

Information on zoning and overlays of your property is provided in the Hume Planning Scheme. By completing a free property search you will be provided with a report that details any zoning and overlays related to your property. The property search is a tool provided by the State Government. To confirm the zoning and overlays of your property, you will need to obtain a planning certificate .

Keep in mind that the zone and overlay affecting your property may not necessarily be the same as your next-door neighbour’s property. 

How does a zone or overlay affect my property?

Zones and overlays may affect your property in a variety of ways. For example, the zoning of a property provides an indication of whether you can use the land for a house, business or factory. Another example is the Melbourne Airport Environs Overlay, which may restrict how many buildings you can have on your property.

Click on the links within the Hume Planning Scheme for a more detailed overview of the zone or overlay, including a list of uses which do and do not require a permit, and uses that are prohibited.

For further information contact the Statutory Planning team on (03) 9205 2802

What is the Social Impact Assessment Planning Policy & Guidelines?

Council pursues its vision for Hume as a prosperous, sustainable and vibrant City renowned for social justice, lifelong learning and community inclusion.
Council’s Social Justice Charter, incorporating the Citizens' Bill of Rights, realises this vision where a city in which its citizens, together with those who work within and visit Hume, experience the highest quality of life, a healthy admiration for the environment and a genuine respect for friends, neighbours and strangers alike.

This vision informs the Social Impact Assessment Planning Policy and Guidelines. Want to know more? You can check out our Frequently Asked Questions .

What does Aboriginal Cultural Heritage mean for my property?

In some cases, in addition to the zoning and overlay requirements, all or part of your land may be in an area of Aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity. If this applies, a planning permit application would need to address the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2006 and Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Regulations 2007.

In particular, the permit applicant must establish whether a cultural heritage management plan is required to be prepared, and if so, provide one with their application. This is required if:

  • All or part of the land is in an area of Aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity,
  • The proposal is a ‘high impact activity’ as defined under the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Regulations 2007 and
  • The land has not been subject to significant ground disturbance.

To find out if your land is in an area of Aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity, you can do a property search through the Hume Planning Scheme webpage .

Assistance is available from the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP) website  to find out if a cultural heritage management plan is required.

Can I remove or vary a restriction on my property?

In some cases, a property may have a restriction (or covenant) listed on a Certificate of Title which restricts certain uses or development on the land. There are many ways to remove these restrictions; one of these is to submit an application for a planning permit. 

Any application to remove or vary a restriction must be advertised to all owners and occupiers of the land who benefit from the covenant (beneficiaries). A notice must also be placed on the site and be published in your local newspaper.

A list of beneficiaries must be certified by a suitably qualified person (usually a legal practitioner or property law professional) and submitted with any application. If a beneficiary objects to the proposal, Council must refuse the application. The Hume Planning Scheme also requires that Council refuses any application where it is not satisfied that any beneficiary will not suffer material detriment if the covenant is removed or varied.
For more information on the removal of restrictive covenants, you can visit the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure’s webpage. 

Are there any requirements for landscaping within Hume?

Landscape plans are often required to be approved as part of a planning permit. Read the Hume Landscaping Guidelines  which contain information on the type of detail required in a landscape plan and a list of species compatible with the municipality. Landscape plans should be prepared by a qualified person such as a landscape architect.

How do I manage industrial stormwater?

The Industrial Stormwater Code of Practice fact sheets help developers and professional consultants meet clause 22.19 of the Hume Planning Scheme. This includes applications for new business uses, new development, or whole or partial redevelopment of existing premises.

These fact sheets apply to industrial and warehousing businesses, including businesses that are leasing properties. Industrial development and subdivision can result in greater hard surface area and changes to the volume, velocity and quality of stormwater drainage into natural waterways. Industrial development can also introduce a wide range of chemicals and other potential pollutants through large volumes of stormwater.

The online Deemed to Comply Tool is a rapid assessment tool intended to be used by developers and consultants (engineers, architects etc.). It can be used to cost-effectively work out how to comply with the Stormwater Code of Practice, ensuring that stormwater runoff from industrial developments is well-managed.  

Additional Planning Guidelines & Resources

For additional planning guidelines and other resources you can view the forms and resources page.

Updated : 9:32 AM, 29 June 2016

What's Near Me?