About Planning

What is Town Planning?

It is important to manage the way in which our municipality grows and develops. Town planning involves the way Council manages the use of land in Hume.

The Statutory Planning team at Hume City Council forms part of the Statutory Planning and Building Control Services Department.  

Statutory Planning involves the assessment planning applications and requests to subdivide land, issues planning permits, enforces compliance with planning permits and investigates complaints regarding the use and development of land.

A planning permit is a legal document that allows a certain use or development to occur on a specified parcel of land. In our municipality these permits reflect the priorities of the Hume Planning Scheme.

This section of the website outlines all you need to know about Statutory Planning in Hume.

To find out more about planning you can also:

For copies of issued planning permits and endorsed plans, please fill out the relevant form and submit it to the Statutory Planning department. Fees may be required for the file retrieval process, which can take up to 14 days.

Performance Statutory Planning

Council’s Statutory Planning team strives to continually improve its performance. A monthly report is presented to Council at its Planning Meeting, which details key performance indicators as well as matters dealt with under delegated authority. The report also includes a status update on matters before VCAT and any decisions.

Contact the Statutory Planning team

The Statutory Planning team can be contacted in a number of ways. Where possible, please ensure you have your Council reference number available to you to avoid any possible delays. If your enquiry does not relate to a current application we will require the property address before we can assist you in detail.


(03) 9205 2802  


(03) 9309 0109



In Person

8.30am-5.00pm Monday to Friday (excl. public holidays)
Statutory Planning
Level 5, Hume City Council Offices
1079 Pascoe Vale Road
Broadmeadows VIC 3047


Statutory Planning
Hume City Council
PO Box 119
Dallas VIC 3047

All documents submitted to Council must have a cover letter (or lodgement sheet) attached including the:

  • property address
  • contact details for the applicant
  • planning permit reference number (if one has been provided) and
  • relevant planning fees (where appropriate).

Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.


Updated : 9:22 AM, 29 June 2016

Related Links

What's Near Me?