Stormwater connections


During this time of COVID-19 customers can still contact Council by phone on 9205 2200 for any stormwater/legal point of discharge related enquiries. However, due to the high number of enquiries coming through to our Customer Service team, we may take a little longer to respond than usual, so we thank you for your patience and understanding. Alternatively, you can leave a message or send an email at

Stormwater is water draining off a site from rain that falls on the roof and land. This water is captured through the drainage network of pipes, pits and open drains and ultimately discharged to the waterways.  

Stormwater is controlled by a separate system to the sewage or groundwater, as these are not discharged into our drain system.

What is a Legal Point of Discharge?

All stormwater generated on private property (from the roof or paved areas) must be discharged to Council drains and property owners must have Council approval to do this. This is known as a Legal Point of Discharge permit (fees apply).

A legal point of discharge is the point of connection to a drain, specified by Council where stormwater from a private property must be discharged.  This connection could be into a pipe, pit, the kerb and channel, an open drain, a Melbourne Water main drain, or a private drain if suitable. In rural areas where Council doesn’t have any infrastructure an onsite absorption system may be required. 


 stormwater diagram


Why is a Legal Point of Discharge required?

All properties are required to have a stormwater drainage system that collects and discharges runoff into a Council drain. Approval to connect land to a stormwater drain is required under General Local Law No.1 2013.

For multi-unit developments (3 or more units on the one property), a drainage investigation is required and a Legal Point of Discharge will be issued at the conclusion of this investigation.

A 'legal point of discharge' for the property must be obtained from Council before a building permit is issued for any work that incorporates a drainage system.

The relevant building surveyor will ensure that the design of the internal drainage system is in accordance with the recommendations of that approval and that the drainage is connected to the specified point of discharge.


Legal Point of Discharge Application

You can apply for a Legal Point of Discharge online using our eHume service or in person/post by completing and submitting this form. The price is set by State Government Legislation. This application form includes options for multi-unit developments and size, depth and offset of Council's drainage network. 

After your application and payment are received, your application will be assessed within approximately 10 working days and sent via email (if provided).

Applications are processed on a first come first serve basis and Council does not provide any fast track service.


Property owners are responsible for all drainage infrastructure related to the drainage of private property. This includes all drainage up to the point of connection to the Council asset, known as the Legal Point of Discharge. This means that stormwater runoff from private land is your responsibility, until it reaches a point of connection with Council’s stormwater infrastructure, this includes if the property's stormwater discharges to the roadside kerb (public land) or onto a neighbouring property.

The property owner is responsible for ensuring that their stormwater pipes are connected to the Council nominated Legal Point of Discharge. Often in new developments house connection points are provided by the developer to make connection easier for the residents. However, these house connections are still a part of the private drainage system and therefore are the responsibility of the property owner. 

Issues with private drains should be addressed by a licensed plumber. Council does not repair blocked or damaged private drains.

Under the Water Act 1989 (Section 16), residents and property owners:

  • are liable for flow of water from their land
  • have a duty of care not to interfere with the flow of water

  • must not participate in negligent conduct that will interfere with the flow of water onto any land


Further info

For more information on our stormwater management at


Dial Before You Dig

The Dial Before You Dig referral service offers a single point of contact to request information about the infrastructure networks at the planned excavation site, commercial or residential. You can lodge a free enquiry online at

Infrastructure assets can be anywhere, and underground assets may be closer to the surface than expected; which is why lodging a FREE Dial Before You Dig enquiry is the essential first step. 




Updated : 2:27 PM, 1 July 2020

Related Links

What's Near Me?